Monday 9 June 2014

19 going on 90: no age limit on cancer!

My name is Amy, I'm a 21 year old student. My life however has not been very typical of someone my age. 

You know when you are filling out forms that require you to go through medical questions (usually involving many tick lists)? 
Do you have X, Y, Z? 
Did you ever need a procedure called X, Y, Z? etc. 
well most young people hardly even glance at the options, because they are healthy. Of course they don't have a crazy medical history. In fact they probably have hardly any medical history at all. 
However, these days I have to read every single option very carefully because I know that i'll need to tick lots of them. 
I'll have ticks for; 

  • Have you ever had an operation? 
  • Had a colonoscopy in the last 6 months? 
  • Have you entered your menopause (change of life)? 
  • Have you been on blood thinners in the last year? 
  • Have you had a CT or MRI scan in the last 6 months? 


etc, etc, ETC. 

One question that I always have to tick on forms is the very reason why I have to tick the rest. The question; 

  • Have you ever had cancer?        

I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in November 2012, when I was 19. I kept thinking "are you kidding me? I have cancer? I'm a teenager!" Yes it is rare, in fact if you read my file and had to guess an age of the patient you'd most likely say 90, not 19. 

It's okay now though, i'm in remission, and i'm looking back on the crazy journey that I have had. 

In my blog posts i'm going to give you the whole truth about cancer; the up's, the down's, the humor, and the sadness. 

Until my next post, Amy x   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment